inquiry

I can finish what I start
image

why did the british immingen come to austraila?

Because there was more space in austraila and better food and there was NOT a war

what skills did the itallines bring with them to austraila

farming, food making and coffe making

… between Geelong and Melbourne along the Princes Freeway and Geelong to Melbourne railway. Home to about 130,000 people with numbers growing at an enormous rate with new housing estates popping up everywhere Werribee is a vibrant with great facilities and is home to a huge market garden industry. On the eastern side of the freeway dozens of huge farms grow hectares of cabbages, broccoli, lettuce and other fresh vegetables in the rich red soil. Much of Melbourne’s water treatment is released in the Werribee region giving farmers access to vital water.

The central business district of Werribee is bypassed by the Princess Freeway and is a vibrant shopping strip with many of the big brands and discount stores but the lovely landscaped streetscapes with its murals and sculptures is still home to many small businesses. Being home to generations of Italian and other migrants there are some great cafes and restaurants, including magnificent pasta and some tasty pizza. Some of the cake shops and bakeries put inches on your waistline just by walking past the front door. For people wanting to shop till the drop the huge Werribee Plaza shopping centre in Hoppers Crossing is the biggest mall in the region with all the big brands, and also is home to a tavern, restaurants and multiplex cinema complex.
… states biggest tourist attractions, the magnificent Werribee Mansion. The mansion grounds also hold the State Rose Garden featuring over 5000 roses and the Open Range Zoo where you can explore the African Savannah with close encounters with rhino, zebra, giraffe lions and other African animals including the crowd favourite the hippos which have recently given birth to a young hippo.

The mansions grounds are one of the major venues for Werribee’s special events including the annual Harvest Festival. Huge scale concerts have also been held there on amongst the lush plantings and lawn, using the beautiful sandstone mansion as a background, one of the most successful was a two night performance by legendary artist Elton John. At the rear of the mansion is the luxury of the Sofitel Hotel this retreat complete with its spa and beautiful surrounds is a popular venue for weddings and sheer indulgences. The National Equestrian Centre, Polo Academy and Shadowfax Vineyard are also on the expansive grounds of Werribee Park.
… travelling through Werribee on the freeway, but in fact only a few kilometres to the east of the market gardens is Werribee South and the shores of Port Phillip Bay. The beach does attract swimmers and people seeking some summer sun and is a very popular boating destination not only for motor boats but sailing. There is construction underway to building a huge marina with residential and commercial space. The new developments will add a new dimension to Werribee and expose a lot of people to its wonderful bay frontage for the first time…. travelling through Werribee on the freeway, but in fact only a few kilometres to the east of the market gardens is Werribee South and the shores of Port Phillip Bay. The beach does attract swimmers and people seeking some summer sun and is a very popular boating destination not only for motor boats but sailing. There is construction underway to building a huge marina with residential and commercial space. The new developments will add a new dimension to Werribee and expose a lot of people to its wonderful bay frontage for the first time.

Nearby Point Cook another fast growing residential area is more than just a huge urban sprawl, it is also home to the RAAF aviation museum. This free attraction is one of the best aviation museums in the country tracing the history, aircraft and people of the RAAF. There are many interactive displays and some amazing historic aircraft and memorabilia on display. Point Cook is also home to the Point Cook Homestead, this bluestone structure was built between 1850 and 1857 for Thomas Churnside who lived in it while his Werribee Park mansion was being built. The homestead is open for inspections and is not far from the Point Cook Costal Park which is the relatively unspoilt reef ecosystem in the bay and is home to a huge array of birdlife. The park has a swimming beach, bbqs and plenty of amenities for visitors including a lookout tower with views over the park

image

Immersion days

Title: why did they come?

Teachers to see –

John: What did we do?: we looked at post world war 1 + 2. What did I learn?: I learnt that all different countries from all around the world left their home to come and live a new life. What am I wondering?: why and how did people from around the world get here?.

Paul Vietnamese boat people />
20140721-122056.jpg what did I learn?: I leant that pirates still exist. What did we do?: we made paper boats.

Celie what we did: we looked at things that started in Australia. What I leant: I learnt that the British empire sent out lots of people to build in Australia.

Troy saylumseekers what did we do?: we leant about refugees and saylumseekers. What did I learn?: I leant that Australia holds 0.29 of refugees. What am I wondering?: I wonder why people Q jump from their country to come here?

Robert what we did: we watched videos about Africans and Drew pictures. What I learnt: I learnt that Africans had natural predators not humans.

Fiona what we did: we played a game and we dug for gold. What did I learn?: I learnt that long ago lots of settlers came here for all the gold. What am I wondering?: I wonder why lots of people came here for the gold?.

Caption cook

Before caption cook was a famous explorer he was a farm boy.
Caption cook worked for weeks and the ship he was on was on was strong and sturdy.
In august his very first voyage the crew got ready to set sail the land.
The crew found sharks found penguins and gathered lots of kelp.
After eight long months the crew made metal tools.
At last it was time to open the kings big secret.
But both were still unmapped.
Caption cook was to claim it for the king.
Caption cook sailed the sea with no map.
When at last caption cook saw seaweed he new Tasmania was close.
For days caption cook sailed the coast.

20141017-101909.jpg

20141017-102054.jpg